“The Transitional Services Program is provided out of the McKinney-Vento Act. The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (PL100-77) was the first – and remains the only – major federal legislative response to homelessness and USD 475 is proud to offer this service in Geary County.”
Sharing the housing of others due to a loss of housing or economic hardship, including foreclosure, eviction, and loss of job;
Living in motels, tents, RV parks or campgrounds due to a lack of other adequate or affordable options;
Living in emergency shelters;
Living in cars, parks, abandoned buildings, bus stations, etc.
Living in places not designed or intended as sleeping accommodations for humans, or one that lacks adequate utility resources;
“Unaccompanied Youth” who are not in the physical company/custody of a parent or guardian.
- Is available on school days to answer any question parents, students, or school staff may have;
- Assists with immediate enrollment;
- Coordinates with transportation;
- Provides information about community resources for various needs;
- Assists with obtaining needed documentation for the student’s file (birth certificates, social security cards, previous records, etc.);
- Regularly communicates with families and school staff to ensure that homeless children are receiving needed services.
- Attend their school of origin (“home school”) or the local attendance school;
- Removal of barriers to enrollment and attendance;
- Free breakfast and lunch;
- Access to weekend backpack snacks;
- In certain cases, transportation to and from school;
- Priority in preschool, after-school and tutoring programs;
- Assistance with the purchase of school clothing, PE uniforms, school supplies, caps & gowns, and field trip fees;
- Referrals for school physicals, immunizations, dental and eye examinations;
- Information regarding educational and related opportunities available to your student(s).
Marty Rombold, BSW, directs the McKinney-Vento Program which assists USD 475 families and youth who lack a fixed, regular and adequate night time residence. School related services and referrals to community resources are offered to those living in transition or without homes.